This is Module Demo Page
Mahinda College is a Buddhist boys' school in Galle, Sri Lanka. It is a national school, which provides primary and secondary education. The school was established on March 1, 1892 by the Buddhist Theosophical Society led by Colonel Henry Steel Olcott. Mahinda College is one of the oldest and leading Buddhist schools in Sri Lanka.
Colonel Henry Steel Olcott, a retired United Statesarmy officer was in search of truth. He studied various philosophies and listened to the sermons of various religious dignitaries. But his inquiring mind did not find an answer. In his search he came across a comprehensive report of thePanadurawadaya. It was a report of a religious debate between Buddhist monks and Christian clergy. Olcott appreciated the contentions of the Buddhist monks and started corresponding with the outstanding Buddhist monks of Ceylon. This correspondence eventually led him to visit Ceylon.Col. Olcott landed in Galle on May 17, 1880 in the company of MadameH. P. Blavatsky. They became Buddhists at the Wijeyananda temple in Galle. Olcott and Blavatsky were grieved at the treatment the Buddhists, their institutions and the religion received at the hands of the colonial rulers and the Christian hierarchy. They identified that the greatest danger came from the proselytization of the Buddhist children through education. To combat this they founded the Buddhist Theosophical Society and set about opening up Buddhist English schools, for Buddhist children. He opened up the B.T.S. English school at Pettigalawatta on September 15, 1880.
This school had a short existence and later with the arrival of Dr. Bowles Daly (LLD), anIrishclergyman and a theosophist, Mahinda College was opened on March 1, 1892 at Pedlar Street in Galle fort.The school was named after ArhantMahinda Thero, the Buddhist monk who brought Buddhism to Sri Lanka.Dr. Daly was a good disciplinarian and a tireless worker. But he left after a very short period of one year.The ensuing period of nearly a decade saw the school simply drifting with a number of principals serving for short periods. However with the arrival of Mr. Frank Lee Woodward as principal on August 1, 1903, things took a turn for the better. From the day Mr. Woodward became the principal, the school had slowly but steadily progressed. By December 1903 within 4 months after Mr. Woodward’s assumption of office as principal, the average attendance of the school had risen to 142 from 89. In the same month students had been sent for the Cambridge examination and in July 1904, a student of Mahinda, G.W.Perera had won the university scholarship. By 1905 there had been 246 boys on the roll. It was during that period that Col.Olcott visited the College twice in 1904 and 1906. The year 1907 had been a dark year for Mahinda. Both Col.Olcott and Muhandiram Thomas Amarasuriya had died in that year. On June 25, 1907, Mr. Henry Amarasuriya, the son of the later had been elected as the manager of the school.In this time Mr. F.L.Woodward had been active with a plan to move the College to a place with surroundings more conductive to its healthy growth. Mrs. D.F.de Silva of Minuwangoda with the assistance of the members of the Weerasiri family, purchased and donated a land called “Devatagawatta” far from the madding crowd, in a salubrious and elevated plot of land. It was a magical charming hillock with enlivening beauty of the central highlands painted on its eastern sky.
It had attracted the attention Mr. F.L.Woodward who had a high sense of aesthetic beauty. The panoramic view of the Sripada(Adam’s peak) also said that it is the most suitable place to a Buddhist school. On January 15, 1908 at 2.14 p.m, Mr. Woodward had laid the foundation stone of the Olcott hall. In July and October of the same year, the foundation stones for the Amrasuriya block and Matara blocks had been laid by Mr. H.Amarasuriya, E.S.Balasuriya and D.N.Weeratunga respectively. On August 1, 1912 the new building had been ceremonially opened. With the shifting of the school to its present abode, the number of students had risen to 300. The first price giving commemorating the 21st anniversary of inauguration of the school and the ninth anniversary of Mr.Woodward’s arrival was also celebrated in 1912. Mr. A.D.Jayasinghe joined the staff in 1917. He was later appointed as the headmaster of the school. In 1919, Mr.F.L.Woodward left for Tasmania to devote the subsequent 33 years of his life to the task of editing and translating Buddhist texts to be published by the Pali Text Society, London.
Unlike in the 1890s Mr. Woodward was succeeded by capable men like Dr. Kalidas Nag, Mr. F.G. Pearce, Mr.W. A. Troupe and Mr. P.R. Gunasekara. But they served Mahinda College only for very short periods. They were succeeded by an eminent old boy of the college, Mr. Edgar Albert Wijesooriya in 1932. This can be termed the golden age of Mahinda. He retired in 1962 with the taking over of assisted schools by the government. Thereafter Mahinda College became a government Sinhala medium school.